In the Aftermath Of A Car Accident,

We Can Help

Catastrophic spinal cord injuries after a vehicle collision

On Behalf of | Jun 20, 2023 | Personal Injury

No matter how carefully a person drives, vehicular accidents in Southern California can still happen, and a spinal cord injury (SCI) is a life-changing consequence of a vehicle collision. As soon as the doctor mentions SCI, it is also important to quickly seek legal support to build a convincing case in claiming compensation for physical injuries, pain and suffering.

SCI can be complete, partial or incomplete (paresis), localized or generalized paralysis. Complete paralysis means total muscle control, movement and sensation loss, while with paresis, an individual can still experience dull sensations.

Meanwhile, localized paralysis affects only certain areas of the body, and generalized paralysis affects larger areas. This classification of paralysis has different types:

Different types of generalized paralysis

It is critical to know what type of generalized paralysis a collision victim suffers, as this will be central to the compensation a personal injury lawyer could seek. A generalized paralysis specifies affected areas, such as:

  • Monoplegia: a paralysis in just one limb.
  • Diplegia: a paralysis on symmetrical sides of the body, for instance, both sides of the face, arms, or legs.
  • Hemiplegia: a paralysis on one side of the body, either left or right.
  • Paraplegia: minimized or total loss of control, movement and sensation in the lower part of the body, starting from the waist down.
  • Quadriplegia: a paralysis of upper and lower limbs, also sometimes called tetraplegia.
  • Locked-in syndrome: a paralysis that completely immobilizes a victim—only eye muscles can be controlled or moved.

A serious motor vehicle collision can alter a victim’s life and the lives of those around them. Working with a skilled personal injury attorney is the first step toward efficiently fighting for your rights, getting just compensation and alleviating the financial repercussions of life-altering injuries.

If you or a loved one needs legal help concerning personal injuries, reach out to the Law Office of Aman N. Shah on the Contact Us page or give us a call at 714-312-3974.